VideoDrive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Perian, subtitles and Frontrow

2 posters

Go down

New Perian, subtitles and Frontrow Empty New Perian, subtitles and Frontrow

Post  Valmore Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi,

The new version of Perian that's out has a "fix" for the subtitles problem in FrontRow. It seems to work pretty well, but NOT with videos from iTunes that have been copied into a compatible container (for use on an Apple TV). Either I "force compatibility" for Frontrow and the video doesn't show in iTunes or I don't, and I have a black screen in FrontRow.
I do know you are aware of the problem, but isn't there a way to work something out with the new version of Perian? Plus the force frontrow compatibility option makes HD movies stutter a LOT.

Thanks

Valmore

Back to top Go down

New Perian, subtitles and Frontrow Empty Re: New Perian, subtitles and Frontrow

Post  Aroona Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:18 pm

We are currently looking into the new Perian version 1.3 and the hack it includes to show subtitles in Front Row. Both the VideoDrive and Perian approach are hacks to circumvent the playback issues in Front Row. We can confirm the Perian hack does not work on videos imported with VideoDrive. Note however that the image quality of the VideoDrive approach is much better than the image quality provided by the Perian hack.
Aroona
Aroona
Admin

http://www.aroona.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Valmore Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:01 am

I agree on the video quality bit, however, when playing 720p mkv files on a relatively fast processor (2.4 GHz Core2Duo), i have A LOT of frame drops.
Just to be sure, the videos are gonna play fine AND with subtitles on a PERIAN Apple TV, even with the new perian?

Thanks.

Valmore

Back to top Go down

Post  Aroona Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:45 am

Make sure the option to "Force Leopard Front Row Compatibility" is off for the those videos you want to sync to your AppleTV. In that case, it's a 'normal' video and it will play normally on your AppleTV. Playback quality will depend on AppleTV capabilities and the Perian codec.

Note that if your AppleTV is on while VideoDrive is importing a video, the video will start to sync immediately to your AppleTV. This is fine as that option is off by default.

If you start switching on/off the subtitle option later, after the video is already present on your AppleTV, iTunes will not sync it again, so that's fine too.
Aroona
Aroona
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Aroona Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:53 am

VideoDrive 1.7.4 will include a new direct import option that puts all videos directly in iTunes without any wrapping or reconversions. Videos imported in this way will work with the Perian 1.3 hack. The drawback of this method is that some video formats such as AVI, WMV and MKV cannot hold iTunes cover art (they were not designed for this purpose).
Aroona
Aroona
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down